“How was your day?”
“What did you do?”
“I don’t remember.”
Does this sounds familiar? When my boys walk in from school, I’m dying to know how their day was.
What did they do? What did they learn? But most of the time when I ask them they give me one word answers.
I realised my questions were too vague and not “interesting” enough to get them talking.
The key is to not sound too eager (I know it’s hard to do). After school, I’ll let my boys come in, put their backpacks down, and grab a snack. Then I’ll ask a question in a relaxed way.
The other key is not to ask too many questions. Pick a few a day to concentrate on and mix it up. You’ll be surprised what you can learn about your kids when you get them talking about their day. Plus, if they are having difficulty or a problem at school hopefully they’ll open up a little more so you can figure out what’s going on.
Here are some questions to ask to get the conversation going: 25 Questions to Ask Your Child After School
- What was the best thing that happened at school today?
- Tell Me what was the worst thing that happened at school today?
- What was the hardest thing you had to do today?
- Tell me something that made you laugh today.
- Tell me about what you read in class today. What did your teacher read you today?
- If you could choose, who would you like to sit by in class? Who would you not want to sit by in class? Why?
- What’s the biggest difference between this year and last year?
- Who did you sit by at lunch today? What did you talk about?
- Can you show me something you learned today?
- What part of school is your favorite?
- Tell me the name of 3 kids you played with today?
- What was the most interesting/funny thing that your teacher said today?
- What class rules does your teacher say are important?
- Tell me one interesting fact about your teacher?
- What’s your favorite time of day at school?
- What are you looking forward to at school tomorrow?
- Did you get frustrated with anything at school today?
- Were you able to finish all of your work today?
- Tell me about a new word you heard today at school.
- If I called your teacher tonight what would he/she tell me about you?
- What subject do you like the best? Why?
- Did anyone do something nice for you today?
- Did you do something nice for someone?
- Is there anyone in your class that needs a time-out? Why?
- If you were the teacher, what would you do with the class tomorrow?