We all want to create a beautiful home, and it’s impossible to do so if you don’t sort out the clutter! Many of us tend to hang onto unwanted possessions by accident, so it’s a good plan to have a clear out every so often. When you’re ready to get started, keep these four tips and tools in mind.
Categorize your possessions
When you’re decluttering your home, it’s best to categorize your possessions, doing so can help you to get organized and make progress fast. You might consider using categories such as the following:
- Items to keep: Categorize the items that you want to keep, once you’ve established that these items are not clutter, they should be organized appropriately, to make the best use of space.
- The ‘maybe pile’: Perhaps you have some items that you’re not sure if you want to keep? Create a ‘maybe pile’ and return to these later. When you’re deciding whether to keep these items, it can be useful to ask yourself questions like, ‘How often do I use this?’ or ‘Could I go without this item?’
- Get rid of: Establish which items you want to throw away and then group these into subcategories such as ‘sell’ ‘throw-away’ ‘recycle’ or ‘storage’.
Take a gradual approach
You may have accumulated a lot of clutter over the years and it could be overwhelming to tackle it all at once! Instead, it’s best to declutter your home one room at a time. It may take you several weeks to get through the process, but it will certainly be worth it in the end. Once you create more space in your home, you’ll find that you’ve created a more relaxing atmosphere.
Perhaps there are items you would like to keep, yet you wouldn’t mind some extra space? Many of us have possessions that we don’t use often but want to hold onto as keepsakes. In this situation, it’s a great idea to try a storage solution. A self-storage solution is an affordable and safe place to keep your extra possessions, allowing you to free up space in your house.
Arm yourself with tools
Several tools can help you declutter your house, from books to apps, try out a few of these:
- The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo: Queen of clean Marie Kondo is here to help you transform your house into a beautiful space! With this simple step-by-step decluttering guide, you’ll improve your home and your lifestyle.
- Shpock: Looking to sell your unwanted items? The Shpock app makes the process dead simple. Simply create your listings, share or socials, and wait for buyers to come to you. Whether you’re looking to sell homeware, clothes, or furniture, it’s free to list your goods on Shpock.
- The Art Of Decluttering: Tune into this fab podcast created by professional organizers Kirsty Farrugia and Amy Revel. Here you’ll learn how the experts keep their homes clutter-free, motivating you to do the same.