These days, it’s easier than ever to get empowered as a female. However, some of us still feel held back by various factors. It’s sometimes hard to blend the world of motherhood with being a businesswoman, for example.
If you want to bring more empowerment into your life, here are a few tips.
Being more confident with who you are
Firstly, it’s important to recognise what true empowerment is. It’s not about doing something that makes you feel uncomfortable. Nor is it about ‘putting yourself out there’ (unless you want to, of course).
True empowerment starts from within – a cliché, admittedly, but it’s the truth.
Tips to get empowered
- Practice saying no (and yes!). Don’t feel like you have to agree to everything to be amenable. If you feel strongly about something, get in the habit of saying ‘no’. Likewise, get used to saying ‘yes’ to opportunities and invitations – who knows where they might lead!
- Remember that you’re not helpless. If you’re not happy with your life right now, you have the power to change it. You can get a new job, or even set up a business from home. You can go out more with your friends. You can move house, or even move to an entirely new area. As long as you’ve taken the time to think through your decisions, there’s no limit to what you can change in your life.
- Learn to love yourself. When you next look in the mirror, stop focusing on the negatives. So what if your stomach is bulging slightly today? What’s the big deal if you’ve got a pimple? Focus on the positives instead. Look at your fabulous hair. Your amazing sense of style. Your long legs. And remember, above everything else, that it’s your actions that are most important. The rest are just skin-deep details.
- Try something new. It’s good to step out of your comfort zone from time to time. Book in a new experience, such as sky-diving or bungee jumping. If that’s a little bit wild, go hiking in the local wood or swimming in the sea. Visit a new restaurant. Try out a new, fashionable perfume for women, rather than relying on your old favourite. It doesn’t matter what the new thing is – just give it a go!
- Look after yourself. Self-care is a big part of true empowerment. If you’re run-down and exhausted, how on earth can you expect to feel powerful and full of confidence? Take some time to sit and relax each day. Read a magazine. Book yourself in for a massage. Watch your favourite movie. It’ll benefit your both your mental and physical health.
- Think positively about others. Learn to be kind and generous. This doesn’t mean being a doormat. But it does mean giving other people compliments, and helping them when they’re struggling. These acts of kindness are enormously empowering, as they prove that you’re a fabulous, worthwhile human being. That’s what all of us should aspire to be, at the end of the day.